Protect yourself from #AirPollution during pregnancy
Posted on December 17 2018
Fine particles from car exhaust, power plants, and other industrial sources are breathed in through the respiratory system, but scientists have found evidence of the effects of that pollution in pregnant women’s placentas.
The greater the exposure to air pollution, the more likely a pregnant woman will suffer from intrauterine inflammation, a condition that can increase the risk of health problems for her child from the fetal stage well into childhood and beyond.
The findings add to growing evidence that the air a pregnant woman breathes can have long-term health consequences for her baby.
The baby is impacted by air pollution in the womb. And then when it is born it is exposed to polluted air right from the first breath.
This explains the growing rate of a range of illness in children compared to even 15 years ago.
Air pollution needs to be addressed indoors and outdoors. Undoubtedly indoors is easier to purify than outdoors. However to #BreatheFresh we need to contribute daily towards improving the outdoor air quality as well.
A few recommendations for pregnant women to protect from indoor #AirPollution:
- Declutter your home lesser stuff means fewer sources of air pollution.
- Avoid using chemical sprays / fragrances / gels at home, in the car.
- Avoid being in the vicinity of tobacco smoke. Needless to say - don’t smoke.
- Ensure that the home is well ventilated.
- Indoor plants - help improve air quality, our mood and bring a sense of calm.
- Follow proper nutrition to enhance immunity for yourself and the baby in your womb. Turmeric, in particular, is a well-known antioxidant and believed to help strengthen the respiratory system.
- Renew Air purifier bags in every room of the home will help to purify the air at home. Use it in the car.
- While commuting on roads, in bus or train or auto use a mask with a carbon filter to ensure that the air you inhale is safe for you and your child.
When planning to bring a child into their life most parents plan on a variety of aspects to give the best to their baby. Air is the first essential of life. The most important gift you can give your child in today’s world is pure air.